Saturday, February 11, 2017

Tips for Decorating & Finding Your Style

Decorating can be overwhelming, Between the trends, all the pretty items in the store, and figuring out your ideal style can be too much. I am speaking from first hand experience, and that explanation will come in a later blog. While at work the other day D and I were talking about tips and tricks that make decorating easier. Between the two of us I believe we have created a decorating road map that will get anyone on the right decorating track.

Tip #1 Make a Pinterest Board.
I know this is obvious, but what might not be as obvious is it's easy to just get caught up in pretty pictures. Before you know it, you have pinned 50 pictures of beautiful homes that you would never truly be inspired by. Just because it's a pretty picture doesn't mean it's your style. Before you hit the pin button ask yourself "would this work for me and my house"? If it does then pin it and if it doesn't skip over it. After a while of pinning you will start to see a pattern and your style will become more distinct. Here are a few pictures from my own board.



Tip #2 Figure out your color scheme.
I had always heard that your color scheme should only consist of 3 colors. When I told D this she laughed, and asked when did I ever start listening to people. It was funny, but I really started to think about it, who made up that rule and why do I feel the need to follow it? D and I both agree that you should do what feels right to you. It's your house after all. I have decided to have lavender, (told you I was obsessed with lavender) blue/grey, different shades of white, and a little bit of green as my color scheme colors.




Tip #3 Start Small
If you only used one of our tips PLEASE use this one. Learn from my mistakes and don't try to throw pictures up on the wall and think that is going to solve all your problems. Yes, when we first got married I had never decorated a house and I was overwhelmed to try to make the house look nice for our visitors. I had a home that had no color scheme, no distinct style, and looked like I made a quick run to the local craft store and just bought whatever I saw (and yes that is exactly what I did).
Go around your house and try to start with a small room that has easy fixes. If yous start small you aren't going to be overwhelmed, and it's going to be cheaper. For me this is going to be my dining room.



Tip #4 Have a Game Plan
Now you have your Pinterest board, your colors, and you know the room you are going to start with. Now it is time to start shopping! This is the fun part, but it can go sideways fast. You can get too excited and start buying items you do not need, and your wasting money. Before you go to the store write down the items you should get or take some screen shots of the specific items you need for the ONE room you are working on. It is easy to see a pretty item that may look great in a room you haven't started on. Before you know it you are trying to work on two rooms, three, four, and then your entire house at once. It gets overwhelming and you start buying items you will never use. Learn from my mistakes!


Tip #5: Have Fun! 
This is a great way to get creative, express yourself, and have fun! Don't let this stress you out. Find inspiration, in shows, magazines, friends, etc. This isn't a test where you pass or fail. This should be a fun experiment.



Question of the day: What tips do you have for others on decorating, or what are the hardest obstacles you have encountered while decorating and finding your decor style? Leave you answers in the comments below.
Have a blessed day, 
Ashley 

No comments:

Post a Comment